Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Mid-Year Reading Update









2018 so far has been a bit of a weird year for me with regards to book stuff. Mostly, it feels different because I've taken a big step back from the online book community. My blog has been neglected for a long time, so it's not really news on here. But I also haven't been active on my bookstagram ever since I moved into my own apartment at the beginning of the year, and that has been a big change although I'm not sure whether for the better or the worse. 

The good news is, I'm still reading! Even if I don't share my experiences online so much anymore, I haven't stopped being an avid reader. And as kind of a catch-up post, I thought it would be nice to have a look at what I've read so far this year.

First things first, I've read 28 books so far, which is right on track for my goal of reading 50 books this year. I guess you could call this the year of rereading, because out of those 28 books, 12 were rereads for me. For some reason, I felt like picking up old favorites more often this year, and to be honest, I'm loving it. Maybe this has to do with my hiatus from bookstagram, maybe that lifted some of the pressure of always keeping up with new releases off my chest, who knows?



I reread the Captive Prince trilogy at the very beginning of the year, and in the course of a few days because those books are just as addicting the second time around. Then, I also reread the whole Shatter Me series as preparation for the new book. Unfortunately, Restore Me was quite the disappointment, but at least Unravel Me and Ignite Me were as good as ever! Along the same lines, I reread the first two To All The Boys I've Loved Before books and then finally finished that series as well. Although the third one wasn't my favorite in the series, Lara Jean and Peter never fail to warm my heart. 

And as part of what seems to become a yearly ritual, I reread A Court of Mist and Fury, then continued on with A Court of Wings and Ruin and of course topped it off with the new novella, A Court of Frost and Starlight. Then of course I also had to reread Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda to prepare for both the movie as well as the new companion novel Leah on the Offbeat. And last but not least, I felt like revisiting the magical world of Uprooted!



But besides all these rereads, of course I also discovered some new favorites. First and foremost, The Bone Season series. I'm currently in the middle of the third book, The Song Rising. Even though I wanted to avoid what will undoubtedly be a brutal wait for the next book, I just couldn't resist reading all of what is available of this story so far. It's just too good! 

Another notable book I finally read (and loved!) this year has to be Gemina. I don't know why I always take such long breaks between the books of the Illuminae Files series, since it's one of my absolute favorites. But here I am, with the third book still unread on my shelf! Also, my second taste of graphic novels has been a huge success. I read Nimona at the beginning of the year and absolutely loved it.



Finally, I also want to mention two books outside of my usual reading comfort zone that I really enjoyed: Everything I Never Told You and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Both of these were really dark but very impactful and I really enjoyed them. 

So these are almost all the books I've read so far this year. So reading wise, 2018 is actually going really well for me, although I can't say the same blogging or bookstagram wise. And I'm definitely not promising anything here, but I'm on semester break from uni and felt like typing up this post, so we'll see where this leads me. Maybe I will be back in full force some day!


No comments:

Post a Comment