Sunday, February 3, 2019

January 2019 Wrap-Up


January was a very eventful month for me, but somehow I still managed to get some reading done. I finished nine books last month, which is a LOT for me. However, six of those nine were graphic novels, so the number again becomes average. Still, I had exams this month and also had to write a paper for uni and I moved out of my apartment and packed all my belongings into boxes because I will be leaving for my exchange semester soon, so I'm very proud I still managed to read as much as I did. So here are the books I finished in January:
  • Saga Volumes 4-9 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Illustrator), 4-5/5★
  • Some of these volumes were rereads and some I read for the first time, but I definitely loved all of them. I'm really not a big graphic novel reader but I love Saga with a passion. Although I have to say that the ending of Volume 9 completely destroyed me and I'm still not okay.

  • White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht, 5/5★
  • This is a story on 'comfort women' during World War II and it follows Hana, a Korean girl forced into sexual slavery by the Japanese army. This book was absolutely heartbreaking and impossibly hard to read at times, but also so important and educational.

  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir, 5/5★
  • I loved everything about this book and I'm so happy that I finally picked up this series in 2019. I don't know what took me this long, but better late than never? I loved the writing, the pacing and especially the characters of this story and I can't wait to see where this series will go.

  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir, 5/5★
  • I wasn't too happy with the ending of this one, but overall it totally lived up to my expectations after book one. Without a doubt a new favorite series!

So those are the books I read in January! I'm also currently in the middle of the audiobook of Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, which I'm loving so far. For next month, I definitely want to continue with A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir and maybe also continue with the Witchlands series. Other than that, I don't have any plans, and we will have to see what I feel like reading.
What was your favorite read of January?




No comments:

Post a Comment