Thursday, June 6, 2019

May 2019 Wrap-Up


Already another month has passed without any blogging on my part, but I am not here to cry about that, because I had quite a good reason. My boyfriend was visiting me here in Seoul for three weeks so we were out exploring and enjoying our time together for most of May. Blogging, therefore, had to take a back seat this month. Luckily (and I don't really know how), reading didn't. In fact, May was the best reading month I've had in a long time, so I'm very excited to share all the books I finished this month with you.

  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff, reread
  • When I saw the audiobooks for this series available on Scribd, I couldn't resist and started to reread Illuminae right away. Despite all the good things I'd heard about these audiobooks, I was still a little sceptical that the unique format of the physical book could really translate well to audio, but I was 100% proven wrong. The audiobook production was phenomenal and made me fall in love with this book all over again. 

  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff, reread
  • Just like the first book in the series, this was a reread for me. Again, I really loved revisiting this story and the audiobook somehow enhanced the experience. 

  • Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3) by Amie Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff, 5/5 ★
  • After rereading the first two books, of course I had to continue with the third and last one in the series that I (for some reason) hadn't read before. I'm so happy to say that this series continued just as good as it started. I enjoyed all of the instalments equally, and overall this is definitely an all time favorite series. Two things that I didn't like quite as much with this third book is that it on the one hand felt a little repetitive with some of the plot twists, and also we didn't get to spend as much time with the new characters as I would've liked because of the book being more split between different perspectives. 

  • Fence, Volume 1 (Fence #1-4) by C.S. Pacat, 4/5 ★
  • I happened across this graphic novel series on Scribd and decided to give it a try since it's been on my radar for a while. This first volume was very enjoyable and definitely my favorite so far. 

  • Fence, Volume 2 (Fence #5-8) by C.S. Pacat, 3/5 ★
  • I really have no idea how to review graphic novels, even less than reviewing 'regular' novels (which as we all know I already am very bad at). So all I can say about this is that it was... less good than the first volume? But still not bad? 

  • Fence, Volume 3 (Fence #9-12) by C.S. Pacat, 3/5 ★
  • I read these instalments individually as the volume is not actually released yet, but I prefer to combine them to one book for statistics purposes, etc. This one, again, wasn't my favorite but I still reasonably enjoyed it. There you go, perfect review right here. 

  • Roomies by Christina Lauren, 4/5 ★
  • This was a quick and enjoyable read for me. I really liked the writing style and the fact that there were no overly dramatic misunderstandings in the plot, and of course always sign me up for the "living together" trope. Somehow, though, I still wasn't fully invested in the romance, which is why I took off a star. But this book has definitely made me interested in reading more by Christina Lauren. 

  • The Risk (Briar U #2) by Elle Kennedy, 4/5 ★
  • This book turned out to be such a lovely surprise. My expectations were honestly pretty low considering how disappointed I was by the first book in this series (as you can see from my review of The Chase here), so I am very happy that I ended up really loving this second instalment. 

  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee (Montague Siblings #1), 4/5 ★
  • This book had quite the reputation to live up to, and I think it did so for the most part. The reason I hadn't picked it up earlier was that I wasn't sure whether the historical setting was something I'd enjoy, and to be honest I still don't know. On the one hand, it gave a different perspective and importance to some topics addressed in the story, such as Monty's sexuality, which I thought was very well done, but then I didn't care too much about the touring and the adventures the group found themselves in.

That's it for the books I finished in May. I'd love to know about your reading month and what books you read and loved!



No comments:

Post a Comment