Monday, August 19, 2019

July 2019 Wrap-Up


Look at this year just flying by! It's already August and I really don't know where July even went. I am back home in Switzerland and I've settled into things more or less, so hopefully I can get back into blogging soon enough. For now, I only have another monthly wrap-up to share, but hopefully different content will come your way in the next weeks.

schakarin's July 2019 Reading Wrap-Up


I finished four books in July, which isn't quite as many as I would've hoped. But I guess reading, along with everything else, had to take a backseat while I settled back into my life here, which is okay. 

  • Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, 5/5 ★
  • After loving Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, I knew I had to read this book too, and finally I did. I loved it just as much as her first book, if not a little more simply because it wasn't quite as depressing as the previous. Celeste Ng has such a talent when it comes to writing about difficult family dynamics, and I loved this aspect in Little Fires Everywhere. I will say that I would've liked just a little more closure at the end of the story, but overall this was a fantastic read. 

  • Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, reread, 5/5 ★
  • After reading it for the first time only last month, I couldn't help myself and read this new favorite again in July. Needless to say, my feelings have not changed and I still love it with all of my heart. 

  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling, 4/5 ★
  • Reading this book was a spur-of-the-moment decision when my friend and I spent a few hours at a bookstore on a rainy day in Taiwan. It felt like watching the movie all over again and I loved it! 

  • Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire, reread, 3/5 ★
  • I don't know why, but I somehow ended up rereading this book in July as well. This had been one of my first NA reads back in the day, and I was pretty sure going into it that I wouldn't like it nearly as much anymore nowadays, and I was definitely right. Whereas it wasn't as bad as rereading some of my other early NA reads, the characters were definitely insufferable at times and allll the typical NA stereotypes that I've definitely had enough of also made an appearance.

That's it for the books I finished in July. I also started listening to the audiobook of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and started reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (both during my 12 hour flight back home). But considering I have barely picked up a book since landing in Switzerland, I haven't gotten all that far with either of these.

What did you read in July? Anything you'd recommend picking up?

July 2019 Books Read Bullet Journal Spread





No comments:

Post a Comment