Monday, October 1, 2018

August and September 2018 Wrap-Up


I definitely forgot how to do monthly wrap-up posts, but I felt like giving it a try again for August. And then, like the professional blogger I am, I forgot to post it until September was already over as well, so here we are with a combined wrap-up for August and September!

I read seven books in August and a grand total of one book in September, which leaves me with 37 books total read this year and on track for my reading challenge. Yay me! While I didn't discover any new all-time favorite books in the past two months, I'm still very happy with what I read. Except for one, all books met my expectations and even the rereads were still as good as the first time around.



  • The Chase (Briar U #1) by Elle Kennedy (ebook), 2/5 ★
  • This one was unfortunately a big disappointment for me and my NA loving heart. I ended up writing a full review which you can read here

  • Angelfall, World After, End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days #1-3) by Susan Ee, reread
  • I reread the entire Penryn and the End of Days trilogy this month and loved it. These wonderfully addictive books take place during an angel apocalypse and feature some of my all time favorite characters. The plot can get quite weird but to me the books are very character-driven so this doesn't bother me at all. I definitely highly recommend this trilogy if you haven't read it yet! 

  • The Hating Game by Sally Thorne (ebook), 3.5/5 ★
  • I had really high expectations going into this as I've heard nothing but great things about it. Also, the hate-turned-love trope is one of my favorites, so it's safe to say I was super excited for this one. Unfortunately, The Hating Game ended up not quite living up to my expectations. This was mostly due to the writing style, I think. It took a lot of getting used to for me as it felt so disconnected from the story. But in the end I still read the book in one day because it was super addicting and fun to read about, albeit not exactly what I had expected. 

  • When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, 3.5/5 ★
  • This one was one thing above all others: incredibly cute. I really enjoyed Dimple and Rishi's story, and until about the 2/3 mark, this would have totally been a 5 star read for me. Unfortunately, I was really annoyed at some of the character's actions afterwards and a little unsatisfied with things were resolved. Somehow, I also never ended up really invested in the story. But nevertheless, I love Rishi a lot and would absolutely recommend this book for a cute contemporary romance! 

  • Made You Up by Francesca Zappia, 4/5 ★
  • This is the second book by Francesca Zappia that I read, and while I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as Eliza and Her Monsters, I still ended up loving the story a lot. To be honest, I can't quite pinpoint what it was about this book that made me like it so much. When I think about it, the main plot was actually a little too much for me. I loved Alex as a narrator, but the mystery aspect of the story still wasn't really for me. The whole book felt so gray somehow. I'm doing a terrible job at explaining this, so just know that I really enjoyed this one even though I can't say why.

  • Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, 4/5 ★
  • I really enjoyed this one - it was fun, entertaining and definitely a little crazy. It did take me all of September to get through though, so it's definitely not a fast-paced story and I never got invested to the point that I couldn't put it down.

So that's it for all the books I read this month. I honestly completely lost track of the books I bought, but I know it wasn't many. Anyway, I will have to leave out the book haul for this wrap-up post but what I read is more important than what I bought anyway!

What books have you read and loved/hated recently? 




No comments:

Post a Comment