Friday, April 12, 2019

Tome Topple Readathon TBR


I don't usually participate in readathons because they kind of stress me out and most of the time I don't realize they're happening anyway. But! As part of my attempt to be more active on my blog again and as an incentive to keep reading even though I'm abroad and so not constantly surrounded by my bookshelves as a reminder, I decided that taking part in the Tome Topple would be a great idea. Well, the timing might not be perfect since I have midterms coming up, but I'm still going to try my best.

The point of this readathon is to read, you know, tomes. The readathon runs from April 13 until April 26, so two weeks to make my way through as many giant books as I can! For more information, definitely go and watch the announcement video by Sam of Thoughts on Tomes. I love the idea of tackling intimidating books that, let's be honest, I've been putting off for way too long, and this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

There are five challenges to complete in the two weeks: 1. read more than one tome; 2. read the tome that's been on your shelf the longest; 3. read a tome that's part of a series; 4. read a tome from a genre you don't usually read; 5. read an adult tome.

So without further ado, let's get into my TBR. As always, I'm the worst at setting up a TBR, so I've decided to just list a few books that fit the requirement of being over 500 pages and also match one or more of the challenges. I'll have to see what I end up actually reading, but it definitely won't be all of the following. I have tried arranging them in some order of priority, though. Also, I will most likely only be listening to audiobooks for the entire readathon because, as mentioned, I don't have a lot of physical books with me at the moment, so I'm referring to goodreads for page counts.

  • Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor: This is the sequel to Strange the Dreamer, one of my favorite reads of 2017. I can't believe I still haven't picked it up, and it's one of the biggest reasons why I decided to participate in the readathon. I need to finally read Muse of Nightmares! It also goes for the challenge of reading a book that is part of a series.

  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: I'm pretty sure that this is the tome that's been on my TBR the longest, so I don't really have a choice but to read this one. It also goes for the challenges of reading a genre that I don't usually read and reading an adult book. I've been intimidated by this book for so long and I think it's finally time to just go for it!

  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee: This one is also part of a series, and it's also one of those books that I'm pretty sure I will love, so why haven't I read it yet? I can't quite believe this is over 500 pages because I don't remember it being that big, but goodreads says it is and I'm going to trust goodreads.

  • The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien: With this one, the page count is kind of tricky, but goodreads says that the edition I own is actually 590 pages? Considering that all other editions seem to be below 500 pages, though, I'm a little sceptical. To play it safe, this probably won't be my first pick for the readathon, but I still really want to get to it soon. It would count for an adult book and part of a series for the challenges.

  • Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi: Another one for part of a series, and another hyped book that I own but still haven't read yet. Why am I like this?

  • Obsidio  by Amie Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff: This would honestly be my number one pick to read right now, if only I had the physical book with me. I don't quite trust the audiobook to do the unique formatting justice, even though I've also heard really great things about the audiobook production. As part of a series, it would at least go for one of the challenges, too.

  • The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon: I'm seeing this one on so many TBRs and it kind of makes me want to join in on the fun. But at the same time I don't really feel like reading it right now, even though it was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I'm including it in case I'm suddenly changing my mind, but it will most likely happen another day. It would go for the book in a series challenge. 

So that's it. These are the books I'm going to be choosing from for the readathon. I'm aiming to read three books if possible, but two at the least! I'm most likely going to start with either Muse of Nightmares or All the Light We Cannot See, and then just see how it goes from there. I have no way of knowing what my reading mood will be like the next two weeks, but I really hope I won't fail the readathon too hard.. It should be possible to read two of these in two weeks, right?

Are you participating in round 8 of Tome Topple? 
If so, do we have any TBR books in common? 



No comments:

Post a Comment