Thursday, March 6, 2014

Jenny Han and Cecelia Ahern

Heee-lloooo :)

I'm back with some more book reviews. Since my last post I've read another two books, one being The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and for the second one I reread Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern.

To be honest, The Summer I Turned Pretty has to be the first book in a long time that I really didn't like too much. I've actually written a review about it over on goodreads which you are more than welcome to read here. One of the things that annoyed me most is that the main character, Belly, acts like this little child sometimes and then other times she talks about how she is gonna love this guy forever and never ever forget him and I just wanted to shake her and tell her that she is 15 and has no idea what her life is gonna be like and she should just wait and see. And I don't want this to sound like I feel like I have any idea what my life is going to be like because I'm only 19 as well and I really don't know but it just annoys me when young people act like they know it all. But then I realized that that's exactly what young people are like, aren't they. I'm sure I'm exactly like that sometimes. But it just annoyed me anyway and I just didn't really like Belly that much in general. I don't know if I'm too old (ha-ha) but it felt strange reading a book from the point of view of a 15 year old. I don't know why and I don't know if I'm just being stupid but that's just what I thought. So anyway, moving on to better books.


Where Rainbows End has to be one of my favourite books of all time. I love the way it's written all in letters and emails and instant messages, I just really enjoy books like that. This style of writing actually has a name, it's called an epistolary novel and I've printed out a whole Wikipedia list with books that are written in that style after googling books like Where Rainbows End for a thousand years and really getting annoyed because I couldn't find any. Well, Wikipedia had the answer to my prayers all along. But back to the book. Not only is the writing style kind of unique, the story itself is absolutely amazing and not quite like the other chick-lit books out there. It's about Rosie and Alex who have been friends for ever but fate has always gotten in the way of them being more than friends. And the story's incredibly funny as well. There's Rosie's best friend Ruby who just makes everything better with all her sarcastic comments and not-taking-herself-too-seriously. It's just a really wonderful read and I would recommend it to absolutely anyone who hasn't read it yet. But be prepared, you will also get incredibly angry at life because everything goes incredibly wrong for Rosie and Alex and life just gets in the way again and again. I literally felt like ripping the book apart sometimes because I just couldn't take another turn of events and everything falling apart again. You just really connect with Rosie and the mess that is her life. But of course there are some heart warming moments as well and it's definitely worth reading for those.

So there you go, another two books read and I'm at the point of having absolutely no idea what to read next. I'm just gonna have to go through my list of epistolary novels and choose something I feel like reading, I guess. But anyway, thank you very much for reading all this!


No comments:

Post a Comment