Wednesday, March 12, 2014

City of Bones

Hi there!

I have now finished City of Bones and am writing a blog post about it as promised. I haven't really made up my mind about the book yet. I know, I read the whole thing, it might be about time but I just don't know what to think. I can think of so many things that I didn't like at all but then somehow I can't say I didn't like the book. This is giving me a headache.

So, if you don't know the story, it's about Clary who discovers that she is a Shadowhunter and learns about how everywhere around her there are demons and warlocks and vampires and so on. And of course, Shadowhunters, whose job it is to hunt and kill demons. And then there's a lot of weird magicky things involved and runes and weapons and I just didn't quite get all that. There's just soo much happening all the time. I was always waiting for someone to sit Clary down and explain everything to her and teach her like the basic fighting skills and welcome her to the world but that didn't really happen at all. I mean, yes, they did explain some things to her but then the next second they were running off to the next adventure and somehow Clary never even had time to digest any of it. I mean, if someone told me that there was this whole other world inside the world I know, I would freak the hell out. And not just accept it and move on.

And then there's so much family drama involved as well. At one point you think you have everything figured out but then the next someone reveals something else and everything is turned upside down again and it's just TOO MUCH! And I feel like a lot of it happened without a warning as well. Even though there were some hints for certain things to happen, other times it all just came out of the blue. I don't know if that's just me but I like forming theories of what's going to happen in my head and then see if I was right or wrong. So I want to be warned where there could be a secret involved or where I might be surprised. I hate having to question whether every little detail everyone says is true.

I have already started to read City of Ashes, the second book of the series, but I really don't know if I'm gonna make it through all five books. I just keep hoping the story will get better at some point and I will be more into it after the second book maybe. Because I do kind of like the whole idea behind it and I've been desperately looking for another fantasy book to read.

If you have any thoughts on The Mortal Instruments, please leave a comment, I would love to know what everyone else thinks and maybe hear some reassuring words that it will all get better in the second book.

Thank you for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment