Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Undomestic Goddess | Attachments | My Life Next Door

Hi there. I'm back with another book post that has been a long time coming. I read these books two to three weeks ago but never got around to writing about them. But now I finally did and decided to post this first, even though I really really want to talk about City of Heavenly Fire.


The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Samantha is a high-powered lawyer in London. She works all hours, has no home life, and cares only about getting a partnership.She thrives on the pressure and adrenalin. Until one day… she makes a mistake. A mistake so huge, it’ll wreck her career.

She walks right out of the office, gets on the first train she sees, and finds herself in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she is mistaken for the interviewee housekeeper and finds herself being offered the job. They have no idea they’ve hired a Cambridge-educated lawyer with an IQ of 158 – Samantha has no idea how to work the oven.


Disaster ensues. It’s chaos as Samantha battles with the washing machine…the ironing board…and attempts to cook a cordon bleu dinner.But gradually, she falls in love with her new life in a wholly unexpected way.


Will her employers ever discover the truth? Will Samantha’s old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

I've had this book for so long and started it a few times but then put it away for some stupid reason. I love Sophie Kinsella's books and I don't understand why it took me so long to read this one. I really really enjoyed it now and it might even be a good thing that I've waited this long to read it. Because one thing I remember is that I didn't really understand any of the lawyer talk in the beginning and I'm guessing that's why I put the book away then. But now, working at a law firm, I thought those were the funniest parts. I could imagine Samantha's life so well and loved how the life of a lawyer is portrayed in this story. Of course it was a little over the top at some points, but I still really enjoyed it. The story overall is just a very light read, exactly what I needed. It did all seem quite unlikely to really happen, but it doesn't really matter with books like this, does it?

Unfortunately - and I feel like I'm saying this about every book - I thought the ending was a bit weak.  I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this way but I always want to know what happens after like after the big kiss and the happy ending. And in this story I thought that would've been extremely important. I cannot picture how Samantha's life is supposed to turn out after the end and I really want to be able to do that. But, as I've said, the story was definitely worth reading and I really enjoyed it overall.


Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
It's 1999 and the internet is still a novelty. At a newspaper office, two colleagues, Beth and Jennifer, e-mail back and forth, discussing their lives in hilarious detail, from love troubles to family dramas. And Lincoln, a shy IT guy responsible for monitoring e-mails, spends his hours reading every exchange. 

At first their e-mails offer a welcome diversion, but the more he reads, the more he finds himself falling for one of them. By the time Lincoln realises just how head-over-heels he is, it's too late to introduce himself.

After a series of close encounters, Lincoln eventually decides he must follow his heart... and find out if there is such a thing as love before first sight.

After reading and loving both Fangirl and Eleanor & Park, I obviously had to read this book. And it did not let me down at all. I just love Rainbow Rowell's writing and the characters in her books are always so well developed and feel like real life people, which I absolutely love. I thought that Lincoln's character was extremely interesting in this book, especially because you could watch him change and make his own choices and everything. It was just all so well written. What I loved most is how at the beginning you get this image of a not-so-attractive young man who still lives with his mother and is overall a rather boring guy. Or at least that's what it was like for me. But then you start to realize that that's just how he sees himself and I thought that was really well done. When I read about him from Beth's point of view, I couldn't really understand at first how those two images could be the same person. I loved how his insecurity made the reader see a whole different person than he might actually be.

Overall I just really liked this book, even though I didn't love it as much as Fangirl. I definitely recommend it to anyone. I often laughed out loud at the email exchanges between Beth and Jennifer and fell in love with every single character in this story. I can't wait to read more from Rainbow Rowell, she definitely is becoming one of my favorite authors.


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Life in Samantha Reed's home is neat and clean and orderly - precisely planned by her local politician mother. Next door, at the Garretts', things are loud, messy and irresistible. And whe gorgeous Jase Garrett climbs the trellis outside her bedroom and enters her life, she finds herself falling passionately in love with him and everything he brings with him. The only hitch is, she's got to hide it from her mother. Then something unthinkable happens, and Samantha is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

I really liked this book. It was a light summer read and exactly what I expected it to be. And it was finally one of those books again, where the story isn't only about how two people fall in love and become a couple but also about what the relationship is like afterwards. All the characters are really well developped, some more likable than others. I feel like I don't have any negative thing to say about this but the reason I didn't give it five stars was that, even though I really liked the book overall, there was no moment that really touched me or that I could totally relate to or anything that evoked any kind of strong feeling. I just read through it and it was cute and all but not something heartwarming or anything. I can't really explain it, it just wasn't a five star book to me.

I still recommend reading it to anyone looking for a light summer read. It really is perfect for that.


So this is all for now. I really need to keep up with blogging if I want to talk about all the books I read and  other things happening in my life. Thank you for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment