Tuesday, April 9, 2019

March 2019 Wrap-Up


I was debating for the longest time whether it's even worth writing this post considering how little I read in March, but now here I am with a belated wrap-up. The month started out really strong and I finished two books within the first week of March. Of course, I wanted to keep the momentum going and so I picked up the third book in a beloved series, because nothing can go wrong with that, right? Unfortunately, I was very wrong, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's first look at the two books I finished in March.

  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, 5/5 ★
  • This book is really the reason I am writing this wrap-up, because I just need to mention how much I adored the story of Evelyn Hugo somewhere on my blog. I had huge expectations going into this because of how much hype this book has received, but at the same time I had no idea what to expect from the plot itself. Luckily, Evelyn Hugo lived up to my expectations 100%. I think going into this completely blind was the right choice to make, and I loved discovering the plot one step at a time. When I finished listening to the audiobook, all I wanted was to start reading the book all over again in written form, but I ended up leaving that for another day. I am sure that I will one day revisit this story, though, and I am already looking forward to it. 

  • I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, 4/5 ★
  • This was a reread for me. After over three years, I decided to revisit this old favorite on a whim when I saw the audiobook on Scribd. Unfortunately, I have to say that I didn't love the story quite as much as I did the first time around. It was still overall very enjoyable, but some aspects especially of Jude's romance felt too coincidental, and I also felt like I couldn't appreciate the unique writing style as much because it felt a little over the top at times.

So these are the books I finished reading in March. I really discovered audiobooks for myself this past month, and I love how it allows me to read while also doing other things. I will say that a big part of these books was read while playing video games on my computer, so I was doing two of my favorite things at the same time which was simply great.

Now on to the less enjoyable part of this wrap-up and the reason why I don't have more books to talk about. As my third book of the month, I decided to pick up A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir. After how much I loved the first two books in the An Ember in the Ashes series, I really thought nothing could go wrong with this third instalment. Unfortunately, I had to realize pretty quickly that I was not enjoying the new aspects of the plot as much and I also lost some of my love for these characters. I am so sad that this happened, and I'm still continuing with the book in the hopes that my love will be rekindled. It has just been very slow going because I'm definitely not as engrossed in the story as I used to be. I don't know if this might also have to do with the fact that I switched to audiobook for the third book whereas I read the first two in written form, but either way, A Reaper at the Gates has unfortunately put me in a little bit of a reading slump. Even now, one week into April, I've still only made it about 60% through the book. 

That's it for my March wrap-up! I hope you had a good start into April, and I would love to hear about the books you read in March.



1 comment: