Wednesday, July 3, 2019

June 2019 Wrap-Up


June is over and so is my exchange semester in Seoul, I'm traveling in Japan right now and I really don't know what this life even is. So please bear with me while I am finishing up my traveling and then settling back into life in Switzerland in a few weeks. I haven't even thought about blogging in the past few days or weeks but since I have a few moments to spare right now, I want to talk about the books I read in June.

Looking back on the list of books I finished last month, it feels like years ago that read some of these books. Was June really only 30 days?? I had a pretty good reading month and finished five books, and I think it's safe to say I discovered a new all time favorite book (but more on that later!).

  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle #2) by Jay Kristoff, 5/5 ★
  • This is one of the books I can barely remember reading, it just feels like so long ago? I listened to this on audio, which I overall liked but I think it had some disadvantages to reading the physical copy. First, I really hated the way the narrator did the voices of the shadow daemons (I got used to it with time but overall... no). Also, the footnotes were sometimes confusing because I often thought, wow this story is getting off track, before realizing it was probably just a footnote. Still, I really loved this second instalment in the Nevernight Chronicle, and I can't WAIT to read Darkdawn this fall. 

  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (An Absolutely Remarkable Thing #1) by Hank Green, 3.5/5★
  • This was a good but not great read for me. As unbelievably as it may seem, I actually wrote a full-length review for it, which you can find here for more of my thoughts. 

  • Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, 5/5 ★
  • The new all-time favorite book I mentioned earlier? It's this one. Like seemingly everyone else on the planet, I read and fell in love with this book in June. Even now, I keep thinking about this story and am this close to buying the ebook and reading it again. I actually listened to it on audio the first time but there is no way I won't give in and get the ebook or physical copy (or probably both) too. It's just so funny, and heartwarming and perfect, and everyone should read it, and I definitely want to read it again. 

  • Becoming by Michelle Obama, 5/5 ★
  • Rating non-fiction is basically impossible for me, I just don't know what to go with. But that being said, this book was just so well written and I really loved hearing about how Michelle Obama handled all the different aspects of her life. Especially seeing how she balanced having a career and a family at the same time felt so good to me and really helpful at this time when I am going through a little bit of a quarter-life crisis. I think I read this at exactly the right moment. 

  • Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren, 3.5/5 ★
  • This one gave me some conflicting feelings. It was all going so great and headed towards a solid 4 or 4.5 star rating until the "plot twist" towards the end, which I just found really unnecessary and kind of didn't enjoy? Like with the previous Christina Lauren book I read, I overall liked it but just didn't quite love it.

So that's it for the books I finished in June! I did also read most of Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng this month, but since I finished it in July, I will talk about it in my next wrap up post. Let me know some of your reading highs and lows of last month as I would love to know! 



No comments:

Post a Comment