Monday, March 16, 2015

On the Topic of Big Books

Hello there. As you might know, I'm currently reading the Mistborn trilogy and the fact that I've avoided picking these books up for several months, even though I've only heard the best things, has got me thinking. The only thing that kept me from reading the books sooner was their size. They're each about 600 to 800 pages long and that scared me.

I used to be the exact opposite. The longest books were always my favorites and I would think that the more pages, the better the book. But when I started to structure my reading more and tried to accomplish the goodreads reading challenge last year, I simply aimed to read as many books per month as possible. And therefore started to avoid longer books because they would obviously take more time to read. I'm getting more and more scared to commit to a big book or also a series and I really hate that.

This year, I intend to read several bigger books that might take me a while to get through - like the Mistborn series. But I keep putting it off. Somehow, I need to convince myself that I shouldn't be worried about getting through a specific amount of books per month. So I thought I would address this on here and maybe some of you struggle with similar problems?

I generally love how my reading habits have changed since I discovered the online book community - I read a lot more and most importantly, I'm loving it more than I ever have before. I've always been a reader but by discovering all these amazing books through goodreads and booktube and blogs, it's become a much bigger part of my life and I think that's fantastic. But unfortunately, I sometimes also feel pressured because I want to read as much as possible in order to keep up with everyone else - and considering some people manage to read 100 to 200 books a year, that's very hard to accomplish especially because I have university and work to focus on as well.

So, as I said, I started to avoid bigger books and I want to change that again. I want to go back to  when I read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, five books with around 800 pages each, and didn't worry about it at all. I just took as much time as I needed, about half a year at least, to get through all the books. At the moment, everything with more than 300 pages seems like a big deal and I tend to avoid those books.

I'm glad I decided to finally start the Mistborn trilogy - something I had avoided for almost half a year, even though the books have been sitting on my shelf - and I hope to continue on with this trend. Since I'm starting to get a little bored by all the YA I'm reading, I think it's the perfect time to start adult series that I want to read and the Mistborn books are hopefully only the first step in the right direction. I really want to read the Outlander series this year and I'm gonna have to come to terms with the fact that it's an eight book series with about 800 pages per book. Then I also want to read the Lord of the Rings books - maybe not as big but I'm sure it won't be an easy and quick read for me. And I just have to accept that it's going to take me longer to get through all these books than it would if I only read YA contemporaries. So don't judge me if I don't read as many books this year as other people (I don't actually think anyone would judge me but it still feels like I'm losing some sort of contest). 

Do you ever struggle with big books or 
are hesitant to start a new series?



No comments:

Post a Comment