Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Crown of Midnight

 
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
 
Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.

The second novel in the Throne of Glass series focuses on Celaena's life after the big competition to become the king's champion. I liked this one even better than the first because we plunge deeper into the world of Erilea and uncover many more dark secrets. The huge plot twists made the whole story so much more complex that I cannot wait to know what's coming next. I definitely recommend starting this series and if you haven't read the first two books, do not continue reading this post because it will ruin the story for you.

I love how Celaena develops in this book, from a rather selfish young woman to someone who wants to change the world and fight against the bad guys. I also really enjoyed Nehemia's role even though I would've preferred her to stay alive. But her death is also what brings Celaena to act and actually do something. I thought the way she grieved and seeked revenge for her friend was really moving and it let us see a part of her that we kind of forgot about towards the end of the first book.

Even though I don't think I really have to mention it, I absolutely love the relationship between Celaena and Chaol. I'm so glad they got together and even though everything is very unclear at the end, I'm sure these two will end up together. I cannot wait for September, when Heir of Fire, the third book in the series, is coming out. There are so many possibilities as to what could happen, I just need to know!

Overall I just loved every page of this book. It proved that the Throne of Glass series deserves to be my new favorite fantasy series. It's so brilliant and I'm loving Celaena more every chapter. She is such an interesting character and I admire how she's anything but weak. I feel like in a lot of young adult books, the female main characters are always sort of week and dependant in the beginning and only learn to be stronger throughout the book and with the help of some guy who believes in them. Celaena was absolutely kick-ass from the very start and I love that. I really just can't get over how much I love this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment