Saturday, July 26, 2014

Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
I have a curse.
I have a gift.

I'm a monster.
I'm more than human.

My touch is lethal.
My touch is power.

I am their weapon.
I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.



Juliette can't touch anyone and she hasn't talked to anyone in 264 days when The Reestablishment get her out of the asylum her parents put her in. But The Reestablishment have plans of their own, they want to use Juliette's ability to inflict pain upon touch as a weapon for torture. Surrounded by people who scare her and disgust her, Juliette holds on to Adam, the boy she's known since school and the only person who's ever been nice to her her entire life.

This book took a little getting used to. The writing style in the beginning is very unique and mirrors what's going on in Juliette's head. Sentences are crossed out and replaced by ones that don't scare her as much. She is on the verge of going insane and I loved how we could feel that through the writing. Juliette's life has been so incredibly lonely that when she finally finds the one person who's nice to her and treats her like a human being, Juliette grows more self-confident and the sentences get less choppy.

I really enjoyed the story, it's very unique and a good start go a great series. Surprisingly, I liked Juliette's character, even though I usually prefer strong and badass heroines to weak and dependent ones. And Juliette definitely belongs to that second category. The relationship between her and Adam is so important and I loved to see how Juliette changed because of what Adam saw in her. For the first time in her life, someone thought of her as a human being with emotions and feelings and not just a monster. For the first time, someone gave her love and friendship instead of hatred. That gave her an enormous amount of strength and I think was crucial for her development also later in the series. She's still very dependent at the end of this book, but it's definitely a start.

I recommend reading this series to anyone who likes dystopian, fantasy, paranormal kinds of books. I can't really compare it to anything I've read before, it really is very unique and I loved that



No comments:

Post a Comment