Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.


In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?

So this is the story of Celaena, an assassin feared by all the world, Dorian, the crown prince, and Chaol, Dorian's closest friend and captain of the royal guard. Celaena meets the other two as she is supposed to fight as Dorian's champion in a tournament to become the king's assassin. Even though she doesn't want to serve the crown, participating is her only chance of survival. Throughout the tournament, Celaena gets to know both Dorian and Chaol better and we learn a lot about the most feared assassin. There are also dark mystical things going on in the castle and especially surrounding the king that Celaena needs to learn about to protect herself from getting killed.

I went into this book with a feeling I was going to like it and it lived up to any expectations I could've had. I fell in love with Celaena and her sass and bad-assery. I instantly liked her humour and sarcasm and also loved to watch her open up throughout the book. We get to know her 'softer' side as the story develops and we find that, even though she could probably kick anyone's ass, she also has a soft and girly side and loves clothes and books. If that is not the definition of a perfect heroine, I don't know what is.

I also really enjoyed Chaol's character. I loved how Celaena wasn't what he expected at all and he was always waiting for her to show her real side and start murdering the people around her. He was so cautious with her and oh so loyal to Dorian, it was quite impressive. I couldn't wait for him to get to know Celaena's real self and, honestly, for them to fall in love. I'm not a huge fan of Dorian but I see how he's important to the story. And he did get Celaena to open up and we find out a lot about her because of him.

This is definitely one of my new favorite fantasy series; to me it was perfection through and through. The characters and the setting are perfect and I can't wait for what's yet to come. I definitely recommend starting this series to anyone who likes fantasy. You will not regret it.

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment